Windows Vista

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

traveler.in.time
Peasant Status

Windows Vista

#1 Post by traveler.in.time » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:43 am

Does anybody have any thoughts on the Vista operating system?
overrated?
underrated?
not Linux?
I just hooked up a new system with it installed.  so far its been fun to explore, with only slight changes, but I haven't had a chance to push it much yet.

Chief
Knight Status

#2 Post by Chief » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:26 pm

So far so good.. i like it and it is very stable for the most part.  I think that time will tell re: gaming but overall its pretty sweet.

the only thing i don't like about it is the hardware requirements to make it run fast!

gargin
Royal Servant Status

#3 Post by gargin » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:41 pm

I have Vista Home Premium and so far its been adequate for standard stuff like web surfing and playing WoW. There are some definate problems with compatibility though. As an example I do some messing around with AGS and when I run a test through Vista it freaks out unless I have the test pop up in a window (Didn't have a problem when I had XP). Also some of my customers have had older programs like Quickbooks and been forced to upgrade to the newest version because of Vista others have simply paid me to downgrade them to Windows XP.
As far as stability goes I can't really say I have had a problem that was definately Windows Vista's fault but it does do a pretty good job at hogging all the resources. The Home Premium edition does have some pretty cool features : Integrated IIS, Quickswap of OS Language, Voice Recognition (Might be in other versions not really sure). The voice recognition being built into the OS is pretty cool and actually pretty well thaught out as you can say "Show Numbers" and windows will assign a number to every button on the screen so you can use it with almost any program.
All in all I would probably avoid it unless you really wanted it for one of the features.