Progress Update Thread (formerly known as quest for glory 2)

This forum is a place to talk about AGDI games and projects.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#326 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:39 pm

Amazing News AGD2. Thanks so much for the update

khoodandco
Peasant Status

#327 Post by khoodandco » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:47 pm

Anonymous Game Creator 2 wrote:The beta was also sent to Vivendi a while back, and we're still waiting to hear back from them on the approval for release. We can't release the game publicly until they have given us the green light.
Does this mean there's a chance, however small, that the game could never see the light of day?  :eek

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#328 Post by Erpy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:43 pm

Well, if VU says no, then that's that. The chance of that happening is small though.

Xyloc
Peasant Status

#329 Post by Xyloc » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:14 pm

Does this mean you have squashed all release-stopping bugs? :D
That would be really good news.
about VU:
Well, they had more than enough time(no pun intended) to send a cease and desist notice. The approval of the grand lady of Sierra herself  won't hurt either...
This might actually rekindle the interest on their classics and boost their sales on collections of old Sierra adventures...

Kloreep
Knight Status

#330 Post by Kloreep » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:26 pm

I believe Vivendi owns/equals Sierra now, hence why they're sending it in. IIRC, the AGDIs have an actual agreement with Vivendi, so I'd imagine the review is pretty much a formality. Probably just making sure nothing objectionable is being put in a property of theirs?

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#331 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:31 am

You got it, Kloreep. They want to know where all references to "Sierra" and "Vivendi" appear in the game to ensure that the companies are being portrayed in a positive light. They have asked us to point all instances out for them however, presumably so that they don't have to go searching themselves.

I would imagine their tester won't play the game thoroughly from beginning to end; they'll probably just load it up and play through a few of the starting screens to get a feel of the overall quality and stability of the product. At this stage, we're not even sure whether that stage has started or not, though.

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#332 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:32 am

Hey AGDI, do you guys remember when you were responsible for the thousands of sales of MoE years after it had been released... you don't think VU caught on to that do you? You don't think that maybe this entire fan based uprising is the reason we had repackaged games from VU do you? BUSINESSPEOPLE DO WORK!? UP IS DOWN LEFT IS RIGHT AND THE WHOLE WORLD HAS BECOME A KONAMI CODE!

Anonymous Game Creator 2
The Prince of Shapeir

#333 Post by Anonymous Game Creator 2 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:33 am

Yup, working to make someone else rich *sigh* Isn't that always the way?

benjipenguin
Peasant Status

#334 Post by benjipenguin » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:16 am

I'm incredibly happy to hear the news, AGDs! I'd imagine it feels very good to finally be reaching this point, and I'm quite sure the game will be worth the wait! :D

DonQuixote
Royal Servant Status

#335 Post by DonQuixote » Mon May 05, 2008 8:31 am

Well, hasn't this thread just become a gem :)

I haven't had a chance to check this site lately, but WOW, a lot of news has been pouring out since I've last been here.  All this work is really appreciated guys.

Alanor.
Royal Servant Status

#336 Post by Alanor. » Mon May 05, 2008 9:34 pm

So has the first Release Candidate version been released to the beta testers yet. Are they working on it ?

And when exactly was the beta version send to those vivendi guys. AGDI said that this game won't be released until they get the OK from vivendi. Are they already late. What if they are too busy there or something and don't give the green signal for the next 1-2 years. Can AGDI do something to prevent a major postpone of the final release.

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#337 Post by Erpy » Mon May 05, 2008 9:37 pm

Yes, it's been compiled and distributed. And no, other than continuing to nag, there's little AGDI can do to speed up things at VU. Hopefully, they will have given the ah-okay by the time the game is done.

Alanor.
Royal Servant Status

#338 Post by Alanor. » Mon May 05, 2008 9:53 pm

Well, then i hope you nag them a lot  :D  although don't nag so much that they send a red signal instead  :p

So now that the testers are working on almost the final version, not taking the feedback from VU into consideration, can any release month be estimated. That will be really exciting for the fans..   :)

djIndy
Peasant Status

#339 Post by djIndy » Tue May 06, 2008 2:44 am

Whats the funniest and or wierdiest bugs that beta testers have reported so far?

murphy
Peasant Status

#340 Post by murphy » Wed May 07, 2008 7:13 pm

Long time lurker just wanted to congratulate the team on reaching RC status.  I can only imagine what a hard road its been, but you deserve every praise for getting this far.

xarcos
Peasant Status

#341 Post by xarcos » Wed May 07, 2008 7:18 pm

Same here, excellent jorb.  To have this project finally traversing the home stretch should rightfully give its developers a sense of achievement and completion.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#342 Post by Gronagor » Wed May 07, 2008 8:02 pm

Hmmm... chances are the game has brought all Vivendi's studios to a halt. Can't see any true game designer not being a fan of these old adventure games!

:p

So people, don't expect too many games from the big studios the next year! Hehe. :)

gogogoff
Royal Servant Status

#343 Post by gogogoff » Thu May 08, 2008 2:36 am

Gronagor wrote:Hmmm... chances are the game has brought all Vivendi's studios to a halt. Can't see any true game designer not being a fan of these old adventure games!

:p

So people, don't expect too many games from the big studios the next year! Hehe. :)
it is going to take me a year to win  :cry  :cry  :cry

Allergic to Katta
Peasant Status

#344 Post by Allergic to Katta » Fri May 09, 2008 3:40 pm

Good work everyone.  I've been silently watching this thing for years.  I'm really excited to bust up some new and improved Jackelmen or whatever.  

Maybe AGD can't "sell" it, but I hope we'll be able to donate for this game.

Kloreep
Knight Status

#345 Post by Kloreep » Fri May 09, 2008 6:35 pm

Even donations are not going to be possible, I believe.

However, if you want to do something that will put money their pockets, you might want to buy their other game if you haven't already. Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman's Mine is available directly from Himalaya Studios (same AGDs, new lack of anonymity ;)) at their store. It's also available from several download services (I think I recently saw it go up on TotalGaming.net). But I would assume buying from the Himalaya store will give the AGDs the greatest proportion of the money you spend. It'll also mean you have a permanent hard copy, so win-win, right? :)

RogerWanko
Royal Servant Status

#346 Post by RogerWanko » Sat May 10, 2008 2:15 am

wow, final beta test build? very niiiiice (in borat voice)
i'm going to guess the releasedate will be......eehhmmmmmmm june 10th !!!
am i far off? wink wink....
what do i get if i guessed the date? :p

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#347 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sat May 10, 2008 3:10 am

I don't think there is an internal date. Remember, they have to wait until Vivendi plays the game and gives the ok to release it. That could be anytime.

Alanor.
Royal Servant Status

#348 Post by Alanor. » Sat May 10, 2008 6:49 am

Hmm.. since there will be almost no pre release date, i guess the release will come as sort of a sudden pleasant surprise. No ticking the days off the calender until june 10th, queuing outside AGDI doors for the clock to strike 12  :p   ;)

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#349 Post by Gronagor » Sat May 10, 2008 6:45 pm

Allergic to Katta wrote:Maybe AGD can't "sell" it, but I hope we'll be able to donate for this game.
Well, AGD2 did mention that donations to pay for good voice actors & recording may not be such a bad idea, for version 2.0 that is.  

Hmmm... ok. Let me state this the other way around. He said in his post that he's not willing to do a voice-pack unless they make use of pro-voice actors who will cost money. Since AGD won't be making money, it could be an option to have donations for this reason.

Hehe. But he probably spoke before thinking about the amount of work. Hehe!!!

Lambonius
Knight Status

#350 Post by Lambonius » Sat May 10, 2008 9:26 pm

Gronagor wrote:
Allergic to Katta wrote:Maybe AGD can't "sell" it, but I hope we'll be able to donate for this game.
Well, AGD2 did mention that donations to pay for good voice actors & recording may not be such a bad idea, for version 2.0 that is.  
Where did he say that?

I was always under the impression that a voice pack was never even being considered for this game due to the inordinate amount of dialog as compared to other quest games.  Maybe he was being sarcastic?