The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

Re: The Gamers Thread: PS3, PC, Wii, 360... pick your poison!!

#1751 Post by Lady Pyro » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:45 am

I'm hesitant to get excited about XIII, it sounds like it's going to be quite the epic (Spanning multiple games at that). I don't know if I can handle a story that overwhelming.
But it's possible I'm just slow, after all I'm still trying to figure out some of their previous creations.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#1752 Post by Brainiac » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:45 am

Anything in particular confusing you, LP? I love a good plot discussion.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#1753 Post by Lady Pyro » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:15 am

Brainiac wrote:Anything in particular confusing you, LP? I love a good plot discussion.
!!WARNING! SPOILERS FOR THOSE THAT HAVEN'T PLAYED KINGDOM HEARTS 2!!!

Well there's been a few, but most recently Kingdom Hearts II.
Loved the game, finished it with 100%, made no sense to me whatsoever. Admittedly, I'm just playing Chain of memories now so that might clear a few things up but probably not.
So here's what I got from KH2:
Sora, Goofy and Donald are put to sleep for a year or so to restore their memories, I assume from the events of Chain of Memories. Roxas is a member of organization 13 who is Sora's nobody after he (Sora) was turned into a heartless in Kh1. I'm good up to there.
Then there's Namine (sorry, don't know about the spelling) whose Kairi's Nobody (I assume she was made when Kairi was Ko'd in KH1) who lives in a white room where she's held by the orginization and draws pictures. For some reason.
Also Kairi's a princess. Somewhere. I guess.
And the organization wants to get Sora. For some reason.
And everyone has a Keyblade somehow.
And Diz is Ansem is Xenonort is Rikku is Ansem?
And I know Xenonort (spelling?) has motives (albeit confusing ones involving a giant floating heart that you fight him in...in space...) but what is the rest of the organization doing? And why are half of them dead already?
And why was Roxas in there?
And why does Axel keep helping me, then trying to kill me, then helping me, then dying? (actually, I assume that's just part of his charm and put that one up to insanity rather then plot, same goes for you Deymex, you schizophrenic fool you!).
What was the point of the organization? To hang around that castle from Chain of Memories?
And I don't understand a single thing that happened to Rikku. He turned evil, went through a door with Mickey, hit puberty in a bad way but was faking it by embracing the darkness or something...and the power of friendship turned him back?
And why does EVERYONE have a Keyblade?
And what did ANY of this have to do with Malicifent's easy to follow plot from the first game (which I liked and was easy to follow).
And why doesn't Kairi remember anything? And where is she that's she's going to school?
And why does everyone and their dog get a bloody Keyblade?

Uhh that might be it. I just shut off my brain at a certain point and enjoyed the pretty colours and final fantasy references.
If you didn't play that one, I've got some (but far fewer) questions regarding Chrono Trigger as well. :)

greensenshi
Knight Status

#1754 Post by greensenshi » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:51 am

Oh, oh, yay Chrono Trigger! Have at them for that game. Been too long since I last played KH2 and I can't find my copy anyway. Sad panda.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#1755 Post by Lady Pyro » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:55 pm

greensenshi wrote:Oh, oh, yay Chrono Trigger! Have at them for that game. Been too long since I last played KH2 and I can't find my copy anyway. Sad panda.
Oh no, don't get me wrong! I love Chrono Trigger, and Cross. There are just parts that didn't make sense to me.

greensenshi
Knight Status

#1756 Post by greensenshi » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:10 pm

I realized that. :P I meant what questions did you have regarding the story of Chrono Trigger? Can't help you with Chrono Cross though, I tried playing it and ended up not liking it.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#1757 Post by Brainiac » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:01 pm

I can explain most of that, LP. I'd send some direct contact information via PM first though, as this is gonna take a while to get through. :p

One point of order, however: Rikku =/= Riku.

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#1758 Post by Lady Pyro » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:24 pm

Ah I apologize for my terrible spelling errors!
Ya know, I like the direction this thread is taking! A nice Q&A to finally get these questions cleared up.
Now before any judgments have been passed, I've been thinking about why I'm so RPG story dumb and I have a theory:
Silent Hill games are about 10 hours long and take about two days to finish. In it you have a mysterious story, complex symbolism and visual metaphors. Yet I've never had a problem following them, and I've played 1-4 to completion.
RPGs are something I pick up after work and can spend a week power leveling. By the time I get back to the story I've forgotten pretty much everything except my immediate goal.
Or I'm just dumb.
On to the next question! This should be an easy one:

!!!!!WARNING!! POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR CHRONO TRIGGER !! (Sheyah like we all haven't beat it a thousand times)

Lavos.
Explain.

What I know thus far: They/it have/has around since 650,000,000 Bc (or however many zeros are in there), live beneath the earth and do...something...evil. And everyone wants to summon them. And I think Schala might get eaten by it or something.
And maybe they can control people?

And yes I know, without knowing this how did I understand cross right? Well (and this is no shock probably) I didn't really. I got the jist of it right up to the computer thing, then I shut my brain off, beat Lynx and saved the world.
Horray for me!

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1759 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:10 am

Brainiac, I'd also like to hear your explanation of the KH2 story if you don't mind!

greensenshi
Knight Status

#1760 Post by greensenshi » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:57 am

PM sent Lady Pyro. As for RPG storylines compared to other games, I'd have to agree with you. Most of the time at least. Earlier RPGs like of the NES and SNES era needed to occupy your time somehow and they did that with leveling up. Action games like Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid, and the like present their story accordingly, the only barrier you'll come across is not being able to beat a level or boss or something like that.

And Angelus, mind if I ask what your PSN name is? Mine is Wan, and I really haven't messed with Playstation@Home because I've had no one to mess around with it with, but I'd like to. ^_^

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1761 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:00 pm

PSN = Angelus3K ;)

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#1762 Post by Lady Pyro » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:17 pm

I will be having Brainiac explain the finer points of KH2 to me tonight over ICQ.
Feel free to join. My ICQ # is 483659833
We'll be starting in about an hour or so. Sorry for the short warning!

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1763 Post by Angelus3K » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:29 am

Damn I coulda joined that lol nm.

Anyways, I FINALLY DID IT!!! I was about 30+ losses down but I've just (over the past couple weeks) dragged my online ranked score to 238 wins and 237 losses!!

I'm a Street Fighter!! Hells Yea! :hat

seraphimdreamer777
Knight Status

#1764 Post by seraphimdreamer777 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:53 am

Well I'm not getting a ps3 this year think I'm thinking about catching up on DS and Wii games. But I don't have any of the Kingdom Hearts games should I get those or get these games DS Chrono Trigger Played SNES and PSone versions already Dragon Quest IV and V YS1and 2 Have Virtual Console version already and on Wii Super Paper Mario

Lady Pyro
Defense Minister Status

#1765 Post by Lady Pyro » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:38 pm

Angelus3K wrote:Damn I coulda joined that lol nm.

Anyways, I FINALLY DID IT!!! I was about 30+ losses down but I've just (over the past couple weeks) dragged my online ranked score to 238 wins and 237 losses!!

I'm a Street Fighter!! Hells Yea! :hat
Man. It was pretty great. I finally understand what's going on in KH. Also, Brainy put up with all my terrible rambling. But my computer hates I.Ming so after a while my messages stopped sending. :(

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#1766 Post by Brainiac » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:32 pm

Yeah, if you want some overview as well, Ang, the Game Guru is available (eventually).

Pity the old chatroom is gone; we could just take that thing over for a brief period of game gab. Presuming ChatBot didn't fry me for my presumption, of course. :lol

Broomie
The Enigma

#1767 Post by Broomie » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:09 pm

I really want a PS3 now. It would look sexy with my TV setup. I'll have to wait till April before I can afford it but I really want some good original games for it. I'm only really stoked for God of War III, Heavy Rain and maybe LA Noir. inFamous does look quite good but the bastards stole our idea! :P

I also picked up a few Xbox games, down at Currys they've been discounted heavily so I managed to get Far Cry 2, Soul Calibur 4, Tom Clancy Vegas 2, Lost Oddesey and Banjo Kazooie all for £30!

greensenshi
Knight Status

#1768 Post by greensenshi » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:08 pm

Yea, God of War III is one of the main reasons I got a PS3. If they didn't force me to upgrade I'd still be with my PS2, there aren't a lot of games for the PS3 that I want.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#1769 Post by MusicallyInspired » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:01 pm

I'd like to get both a PS3 and a 360. The PS3 for its Blu-Ray player (the games would be a plus). Though I haven't seen any interesting games lately so I don't know if it'd be worth it or not for a 360.

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#1770 Post by Brainiac » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:26 am

Broomie wrote:I'm only really stoked for God of War III, Heavy Rain and maybe LA Noir.
Did you play the spiritual predecessor Fahrenheit, Brooms?

Broomie
The Enigma

#1771 Post by Broomie » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:13 pm

Brainiac wrote:
Broomie wrote:I'm only really stoked for God of War III, Heavy Rain and maybe LA Noir.
Did you play the spiritual predecessor Fahrenheit, Brooms?
I only played a partial amount of it round a friend's house. It's on my to-do list, though. Should I get it for PC or PS2/Xbox because as much as I love playing games on my PC I do enjoy playing the console on my nice, warm sofa. Plus, I can get it for cheaper on the Xbox anyway.

And MI, a 360 is definitely worth it considering how cheap it is at the moment. Huge list of great games, great exclusives and IMO a more comfortable controller. Never been a fan of the dualshock controllers, especially the PS3 controller as the trigger buttons are horrible.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1772 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:04 pm

Looking forward to playing Heavy Rain, Deb and I loved Fahrenheit!! Action scenes got in the way somewhat but it was a brilliant game with a great story, I really need to replay that someday!!

greensenshi
Knight Status

#1773 Post by greensenshi » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:48 pm

Farenheit... isn't that game also known as Indigo Prophecy? If so then that's a game I want to play too.

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#1774 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:23 pm

greensenshi wrote:Farenheit... isn't that game also known as Indigo Prophecy? If so then that's a game I want to play too.
Yup its one and the same!

Brainiac
Royal Vizier Status

#1775 Post by Brainiac » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:10 pm

Angelus3K wrote:
greensenshi wrote:Farenheit... isn't that game also known as Indigo Prophecy? If so then that's a game I want to play too.
Yup its one and the same!
Not really. Indigo Prophecy is the censored version released in US stores, renamed because we're too stupid to realize it has nothing to do with Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11. >:

If you want the complete game, Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Director's Cut is available as a direct download only (and carries the retail death sentence that is the AO rating).