Can't open game

Report bugs or find solutions to hardware problems regarding KQ1VGA and KQ2:RTS.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

narji
Peasant Status

Can't open game

#1 Post by narji » Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:12 am

Downloaded KG1 today, there is an icon on the desktop but looks like the wrong type. Can't think what you call it at the moment, but its one of those with the windows symbol in the middle, and underneath it just has the numeral 1 - not KQ1. Anyway its one of those that just says to click the program you want to open file, which doesn't seem to work.<br><br>I used DAP to download because something often interrupts downloads on my machine otherwise and with DAP I can just resume the download at a later time if necessary. Perhaps I didn't save to the correct location. Would really welcome any suggestions as I've really been looking forward to playing this game. Thanks. <p></p><i></i>

Kijyata
Peasant Status

Re: Can't open game

#2 Post by Kijyata » Tue Jan 07, 2003 2:05 pm

Is it possible you just downloaded the php file, or something? This refers to a different download manager and not DAP, but it might be related - <br><br><!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Note to GetRight users: Start GetRight, hold CTRL+ALT, and click on the link simultaneously. The GetRight download window will appear and may attempt to download a php file. If so, then it may appear that the server is busy. Just keep clicking the Resume button - GetRight will eventually locate a server and start downloading the .EXE file.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Also, I noticed I had to try clicking the link a couple of times before I successfully get a connection to the correct file, even though I don't use any kind of download manager. Did your download take as long as you would have expected it to for the file size you are downloading (22 meg)? <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub57.ezboard.com/broyalquestfor ... Kijyata</A> at: 1/7/03 8:07:17 am<br></i>

narji
Peasant Status

#3 Post by narji » Wed Jan 08, 2003 2:54 am

Thanks for that Kijyata, I did wonder if it had downloaded the php file but there didn't seem any way to find out and no I don't really think it did take as long as I expected with a 56K modem, actually around 2 hours and yet when I download an MP3 file of around 4 megs it takes about 20 mins so it looks as though that might be the answer, I'll try again today and thanks again. <p></p><i></i>

anathoth8
Triforce Defender

#4 Post by anathoth8 » Wed Jan 08, 2003 3:01 am

To find out the extension of the file, right-click on it and from the menu, select properties. That should bring up a window telling you the full file name of that file. It should be .exe <p></p><i></i>

narji
Peasant Status

#5 Post by narji » Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:07 am

Yes I did that anatholth8 but it showed no file extension at all. Have to say I have never had a download like this before, it was a bit weird. <p></p><i></i>

anathoth8
Triforce Defender

#6 Post by anathoth8 » Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:19 am

That is really weird. Perhaps your download manager hasn't finished the download. Having no experience with DAP I can't say for sure, but perhaps it is just a temp file until the download is complete. Other than that, I have no suggestion except to try again. <p></p><i></i>

adeyke

Hmmm...

#7 Post by adeyke » Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:39 am

I just tried the download link and got a 404 for the URL <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://68.116.235.22/KQ1VGA20.exe">68.1 ... <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> ...<br><br>However, I retried and did get a download. I'm not sure what the problem you have is, but it <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>could</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> be that you renamed the file so it doesn't have the right extension. Try renaming it to "KQ1VGA.exe" and see if it works then. <p></p><i></i>

narji
Peasant Status

#8 Post by narji » Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:11 am

Thanks for all the help everyone, I have now successfully downloaded with DAP but using the method suggested for "GetRight" and is worked perfectly. The manual is great and the game looks good (haven't played it yet). Now will download the speech pack.<br><br>By the way, I presume you can burn it to disk rather than leave it on your hardrive?? <p></p><i></i>

adeyke

Hmmm...

#9 Post by adeyke » Wed Jan 08, 2003 10:47 am

I don't think that works. AFAIK, it always tries to save the games in the directory to which you installed it. So if it's "installed" on a CD, that wouldn't work. You can back up the install files to CD, though, of course. <p></p><i></i>