Quest for Glory I with MT-32

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Arseny
Peasant Status

Quest for Glory I with MT-32

#1 Post by Arseny » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:17 pm

Does anyone have any experience running QfGI with MT-32 emulation? I have downloaded the MP3 files from QuestStudios, and they sound really cool, and I really would like to hear something like that in the game. I tried DOSBox, but I probably didn't figure out something, because the music sounds garbled and wrong.

Any tips or pointers?

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#2 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:47 pm

I'm afraid I have no experience with using an MT-32 emulator. I've tried but the DOSBox version with the compiled MT-32 emulation crashes on me every time. I don't think there are any good perfect MT-32 emulators out there yet, anyway. But I could be wrong. It probably won't sound perfect. I recommend getting an actual MT-32 through EBay or something if you want a good MT-32 experience at this point.

Also keep in mind that some of the MP3s on Quest Studios are recorded with more than just an MT-32.

Arseny
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Arseny » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:00 pm

I recommend getting an actual MT-32 through EBay or something if you want a good MT-32 experience at this point.
It's almost impossible to import ebay-bought hardware to Russia. :cry Our customs require a great deal of papers most sellers are either not able or not willing to produce. That's why I was thinking about emulation.
Also keep in mind that some of the MP3s on Quest Studios are recorded with more than just an MT-32.
Yeah, I know that they are using enchantments, but I still want to try making it work even with basic MT-32.

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#4 Post by MusicallyInspired » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:16 pm

It's almost impossible to import ebay-bought hardware to Russia. Cry Our customs require a great deal of papers most sellers are either not able or not willing to produce. That's why I was thinking about emulation.
Aw that's too bad. Keep following the MT-32 emulation progress is my only advice. Also check out the VOGONS (Very Old Games On New Systems) forums. They have a section for MT-32 emulation. You can probably get more answers there than here.

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/index.php
Yeah, I know that they are using enchantments, but I still want to try making it work even with basic MT-32.
A noble motivation ;). Can't fault you there. The MT-32 is a wonderful little black box.