Taking/Making Sierra Game VGA (and EGA) screen shots---How?

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Nightfall1121
Peasant Status

Taking/Making Sierra Game VGA (and EGA) screen shots---How?

#1 Post by Nightfall1121 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:37 pm

I've noticed that there are those who've used QFG character speech/face boxes to make avatars and such. How do you get a "snapshot" of that (each character)? Also, how can you take (or make) a screen shot of, just that, a screen (with various characters, say outside the castle gates in QFGIV)? Does anyone know/ would anyone be willing to give me a quick tutorial or directions? It would come in handy for making desktop wallpapers or say, a fan site.

Thanks for reading

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

Re: Taking/Making Sierra Game VGA (and EGA) screen shots---How?

#2 Post by DrJones » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:51 pm

If you are playing it in DOSBOX, you can press F12 (or was it Ctrl + F12?) to take a screenshot. In windows, press the "Print Scr" key in your keyboard, and then open paint and paste from clipboard. :D

Nightfall1121
Peasant Status

#3 Post by Nightfall1121 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:18 am

Thank you!

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#4 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:22 am

Or you can use SCI Viewer or SCI Studio and export the image right out of the game's resources.

DrJones
Trusty Riding Saurus

#5 Post by DrJones » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:36 am

The SCI studio option is great if you don't want characters and cursors to appear on the screenshot. It depends on what you want to achieve. Also, I remember that Quest for Glory II VGA has its own built-in 'take screenshot' feature, but I have to look which hotkey does that, and you can't use it on dialog boxes.

Nightfall1121
Peasant Status

#6 Post by Nightfall1121 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:03 am

DrJones wrote:The SCI studio option is great if you don't want characters and cursors to appear on the screenshot. It depends on what you want to achieve. Also, I remember that Quest for Glory II VGA has its own built-in 'take screenshot' feature, but I have to look which hotkey does that, and you can't use it on dialog boxes.

SCI studio option? I've never heard of that. What is it, and how do I operate it? Also, I tried your previous directions for taking a screenshot (I need the character in it for this one) while playing QFG4, and I couldn't get it to work :( . I pressed and held Control, then pressed F12 (I also tried just hitting F12), then going back to Windows, then going hitting Print Scrn key, and opening Paint.net . I couldn't paste from clipboard (Maybe I don't know the right actions to take? I don't know much about Paint, I'm afraid, so if you don't mind, please enlighten me.), but when I tried pasting anything, all I got was a copy of paint with the Windows Task Manager...

I'm fairly confused now.

Knight Status

#7 Post by 1234567890 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:30 am

MusicallyInspired
The Master of All Things Musical

#8 Post by MusicallyInspired » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:54 am

SCI Viewer is easier.

Gronagor
Saurus Salesman

#9 Post by Gronagor » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:28 am

*phew* Nightfall. Dr Jones actually meant "OR" with the F12 and Print Screen functions.

For example, pushing the 'Print Screen' key should be done IN the game, not outside, and then pasted in Paint.

I can't remember DosBox, but I think it saves a screenshot everytime you push it. Check in your games' folder for picture-files.

Nightfall1121
Peasant Status

#10 Post by Nightfall1121 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:47 pm

Gronagor wrote:*phew* Nightfall. Dr Jones actually meant "OR" with the F12 and Print Screen functions.

For example, pushing the 'Print Screen' key should be done IN the game, not outside, and then pasted in Paint.

I can't remember DosBox, but I think it saves a screenshot everytime you push it. Check in your games' folder for picture-files.

Thank you, Gronagor. That saved me a lot of unnecessary confusion. I've got it working now and just took my first screenshot of exiting the Dark One's Cave for the first time. Thanks again.