a reminder of the shortness of life ..........

This forum is for off-topic discussion. You may talk about all things non-AGDI related here. No links to warez, abandonware, and no Flaming please.

Moderators: adeyke, VampD3, eriqchang, Angelus3K

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

a reminder of the shortness of life ..........

#1 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:18 am

I was talking to my grandmother tonight, and she told my that my second cousin, Eric, died suddenly this morning. He was only 25 years old.

although he and i were never close - I don't think I'd really spoken to him since I was 11, last time I saw him was about 3 years ago, and I don't think we exchanged 2 words - it's still hitting me pretty hard. i mean, he was only 4 years older than i am, 1 year older than my brother .... back when i was younger, my mom's entire side of the family used to rent out a vacation complex in NC, and Eric, my brother, myself, and all the other cousins would play flashlight tag .. and now he's gone.

Life is short, people. Enjoy it.

Senor Matt
Knight Status

#2 Post by Senor Matt » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:33 am

Wise words Steffi, it is too easy to get caught up in our own petty problems and forget how precious a gift we have to be able to simply wake up in the morning and experience life.

And I am very sorry for the loss of your cousin, losses like that, the ones that are close, but not too close to leave you completely devastated, always make you stop and think. It's a shame that it always has to take something like that to do it though.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#3 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:10 am

Yeah, well, when I was 24 and a doctor told me I was going to either have to undergo Hemodialysis (and an eventual transplant) or die, it made me stand up quick. I mean, I was 24 - I was in my prime. I had a great, fun life and everything was so carefree. Then a major bitch slap from the powers that be. You take stock of what's around you, then you move on. You remember what you love. It took a while, but sometimes it's like having Kidney Failure made me a better person. It's the trials in life that make you realize your mortality, and make you appreciate everything. Even if you ARE a cynical curmudgeon!

Oh, and by the way, it's been a year since I recieved my transplanted kidney. I've had my Dad's kidney for a year. Crazy.

I'm sorry for your loss, Steffi.

Bt

Vipt
Royal Servant Status

#4 Post by Vipt » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:58 am

'Curmudgeon', what a great word! It's one of those words you rarely use, but when you finally do, it packs a punch. It also has some good rhyming qualities: Since I held the curmudgeon in high dudgeon, I would bludgeon him up in my dungeon... with a sturgeon... like a surgeon...

Okay, maybe not.

Also sorry for your loss, Steffi :(

Erpy
Forum Administrator

#5 Post by Erpy » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:53 am

I remember something similar with a "half-cousin" (my grandma remarried and the guy was a grandchild of my grandmother's new partner) who was about that age too and was found dead on his bed nearly a year ago. A sad thing when some people die so young. My condolences.
It took a while, but sometimes it's like having Kidney Failure made me a better person.
Now if you only WEREN'T a cynical curmudgeon, I would have voted you Mr. Universe by now. :p

Spikey
Insomniac Speed Demon

#6 Post by Spikey » Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:03 pm

Condolences, Stef.

All of you:

1. Don't forget to live before you die.
2. Don't die a virgin.

Renodox
Defense Minister Status

#7 Post by Renodox » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:54 pm

2. Don't die a virgin.
Oh puh-lee-see! Anybody can give in to that instinct. I say that only a true master can refrain from it for his entire life. However long or short it may be.

Sorry Steffi, I've lost some relatives too.

Blackthorne519
Royal Vizier Status

#8 Post by Blackthorne519 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:16 pm

Renodox wrote:Oh puh-lee-see! Anybody can give in to that instinct. I say that only a true master can refrain from it for his entire life. However long or short it may be.
It's true; it does take dicipline to hold oneself from sex. But do you really crave the denial of the act? That's just the same as giving in; they're both a form of lust.

Bt

Angelus3K
Vampiric Moderator

#9 Post by Angelus3K » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:37 pm

Sorry to hear of your loss Steffi!

Life can just plain suck! (pretty much all the time too)

Skyshark
Knight Status

#10 Post by Skyshark » Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:01 am

Sorry to hear about that, Steffi. However, I do find it weird for someone to just die 'suddenly' at 25. Could it be some unknown complication that led to him dying?

Steffi Evenstar
Defense Minister Status

#11 Post by Steffi Evenstar » Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:54 am

truthfully .. i suspect drugs. but, i don't know. my grandmother was the one who told me, and if that was the cause, i don't think she would have been told. but, that's my guess.

The Knight
King of Men

Sad indeed..................................................

#12 Post by The Knight » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:27 am

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

A year ago, around April, someone I knew a little bit died. He was only 18, hadn't even finished high school, and he died from a brain tumor. It was rather sudden too.

It's sad to see people so young, and with so much promise dying so young. |I

VampD3
Queen of the Night and Moderator

#13 Post by VampD3 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:37 pm

Sorry about your loss Steffi! Hope your ok!
Life can just plain suck! (pretty much all the time too)
I wouldn't say life sucked all the time!! esp when people are well off. Bad things do happen but people get over it and move on. Lifes what you make it!! :)

Since Ive had a baby it makes you relise just how wonderful and precious life is! even though I don't take my own advice lol

Boogeyman
Knight Status

#14 Post by Boogeyman » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:37 pm

Steffi Evenstar wrote:truthfully .. i suspect drugs. but, i don't know. my grandmother was the one who told me, and if that was the cause, i don't think she would have been told. but, that's my guess.
If you suspect drugs, then do you think it might have been a suicide?

Sorry about your loss! I understand how you feel!

Quest For Glory Fan
Slacker of Shapeir

#15 Post by Quest For Glory Fan » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:52 pm

Finally someone said somethiong worse then I would because it doesn't matter the fact remains he is gone whether sudden or from poor choices another human being has left this plain and has moved on before the rest of us.

My brothers best friend died at the age of... 14-16 I don't know anymore because I try to forget. This story has been shed by me once before but now it really makes me think. He got cancer at my age and I'm like 3rd younge happen to youst on the forums! It makes me think along the lines of it can happen to you and that you should just always reach your fullest potential. When I read this topic title I was hoping no one died but alas the news strike. Take care and remember if you keep something close like an obituary or those funeral cards it's ok to forget a little.

P.S. what's a cudmungeon?

Vipt
Royal Servant Status

#16 Post by Vipt » Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:45 pm

Quest For Glory Fan wrote:P.S. what's a cudmungeon?
A cudmungeon? I've never heard such a word before. Sounds interesting though.....

Unless you meant 'curmudgeon', in which case I would suggest you look the word up yourself instead of asking everyone here to accept your laziness. Seriously, there are even free dictionaries online. Try this one for example; just type in the word (spelled correctly) on the text-box at the top of the page, then click the 'Search' button right next to it. Presto!

P.S. Where have you been lately, QFGfan? The forums have been lacking of your particular brand of canned meat-product.